The laundry room is often one of the smallest spaces in your home, especially considering the amount of time you spend in there. If you’re starting to feel trapped under that growing pile of laundry, you can make relatively small changes to make the laundry room feel bigger. It’s also helpful to make the each of the rooms of your house look as large as possible when you are selling your home, including the laundry room.
Here are eight tips that will help you make a small laundry room feel larger, whether you’re selling your home or just moved in.
1) Add storage. Use cabinets and shelves to keep your laundry room clean, organized and make the space feel bigger than it is. Investing in both open and closed storage space will also help you take advantage of the vertical space in your home. If you have high ceilings, even better! You can use tall cabinets in your laundry room and store the extra household items and paper goods that you buy in bulk.
2) Paint. Use a light, bright color to make the space look as large as possible. Dark colors will overwhelm a small space and make it look even smaller.
3) Change the door. If you have a door that swings into your laundry room, it can make the space feel even smaller. Consider switching to a pocket door if you have the room. If that’s not an option, you can also change the hinges so that the door swings into the hallway.
4) Clear out large non-laundry items. If you store your mop, bucket and broom in the laundry room, consider moving them to a closet instead. Clearing up valuable floor space will make your laundry room look larger.
5) Banish extra clothes. Your washer and dryer should not serve as permanent clothing storage. Once the clothes are clean and folded, send them upstairs to the bedrooms. Consider a sorting hamper, which will save you time in sorting and the mess of extra sorting bins.
6) Use an area rug instead of a floor mats. If you want something soft underfoot while you sort and fold the laundry, get an area rug. Using a larger rug that takes up the entire floor space will make your laundry room look larger and more inviting.
7) Add a mirror. Mirrors make a space look larger. If you have extra wall space, but not much else, a mirror might be perfect for your laundry room. A mirror will come in especially handy if you have a tendency to get dressed in your laundry room in the morning.
8) Clean up. Dust bunnies have no place in the laundry room, but they do frequently make a home in there. Vacuum or sweep the laundry room regularly to get rid of lint and dust that collects in the corners and gathers on the baseboard.